alaa minawi (beirut - 1982) is a palestinian - lebanese visual artist based in amsterdam, netherlands. he has worked in more than 300 performances as a performer, light designer, and scenographer. he was a member of the lighting designers association (london,uk) between 2015 and 2018.
since 2010, alaa started experimenting with light sources in an attempt to understand their influence. These experimentations lead to a shift in his career towards creating his own installations using his technical and design skills that he attained in the previous years.
- 2012 [a piano in my pillow] - collaboration with vladimir kurumilian - beirut, lebanon.
- 2013 "beyond myself..." - amsterdam, netherland
- 2014, "my light is your light..." premiered Amsterdam still doing its world tour.
- 2016 “the bride" beirut, lebanon.
- 2018 "hand in hand..." cluij, romania.
he was nominated for best light art award by d’arc award, london, uk. (2016)
his artwork my light is your light is registered in unesco year of light 2015
since 2016, alaa shifted towards an artistic research starting with one about belonging and its relationship to physical spaces.
- ba in communication arts from the lebanese american university, lebanon (2008)
- ma in fine arts, scenography, and design from hogeschool voor de kunsten utrecht, netherlands (2018)
- certificate to train in lighting design from rada (royal academy for dramatic arts) since 2009.